Saturday, August 8, 2020

Frequently Asked Questions

Health Care

Q. Whom should I call if I have questions about my eligibility? 
A. The Plan Office at 1-800-572-8975 or (248) 836-2760 (in Michigan only).
Q. How do I add my new baby or spouse?
A. You must get a data card from the Plan Office. Fill it out and return it to the Plan Office no later than 30 days from the birth of your baby or date of marriage. A Marriage Certificate is required, and a Birth Certificate may be required.
Q. Will my child who is age 19 to age 26 be covered under the Plan? 
A. As of May 1, 2011 coverage is provided for adult dependents up to age 26, no proof of college enrollment is required. Contact the Plan Office for more information and an enrollment form.


Q. How do I become a participant in the Plan?
A. When you have performed a total of 1,000 hours of service in any 24 consecutive months under a collective bargaining agreement for one or more contributing employers you become a participant in the Plan.
Q. How do I obtain a years of credited service? 
A. After May 1, 1976 you work at least 500 hours in a Plan Year for one or more contributing employers under a collective bargaining agreement. Prior to May 1, 1976 you worked at least 200 hours in a Plan Year for one or more contributing employers under a collective bargaining agreement. Once you have earned 5 credited years of service you become vested in your benefit.
Q. How is my benefit calculated? 
A. Your Normal retirement benefit rate is 3.3% (3% if you retired prior to 11-1-99) of the total credited employer contributions received on your behalf as a result of work performed by you.
The benefit rate for all contributions received 5/1/04 and after is 1.5%. The rate for new participants to the Plan effective 5/1/11 is 1.167% for years 1 through 15; 1.333% for years 16 through 30; and 1.5% for years 31 and beyond. 

 Defined Contribution

Q. What is the Defined Contribution Pension Fund?
A. It is a type of pension that pays a lump sum benefit upon retirement or termination of employment. This benefit is in addition to any Defined Benefit pension you may be eligible to receive.
Q. How do I become a participant and how do I become vested? 
A. Once you have contributions paid into the Fund by a contributing employer you immediately become a participant and are 100% vested.
Q. How are the Fund's assets invested? 
A. The Trustees are responsible for selecting the appropriate investment vehicles for the investment of the Fund's assets. The Trustees retain professional investment managers to handle the actual investing of these assets.