Sunday, March 3, 2024

Frequently Asked Questions

Health Care and VEBA

Q. Who is eligible to become a Participant in the Plan?
A. You are eligible to participate in the Plan if you work for an Employer that is required to make contributions to the health and welfare Plan for the work you perform. For most Participants, this means working in a position covered by a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the Employer and the Union.
Q.What if I don’t work enough hours to gain eligibility for the month?
A.If you fail to have the required employer contributions to continue Health Care coverage, you may be eligible to continue with COBRA Continuation Coverage. Please contact the Benefit Fund Office at: (800) 622-0547 for more information.
Q.How do I maintain my monthly Health Care coverage?
A.You must have an employer contribution submitted on your behalf each month or elect COBRA Continuation Coverage and submit a self payment to continue Health Care coverage.


Q.How do I become a Participant in the Plan?
A. You become a Participant in the Plan on the first day of your employment in a job category covered by a Collective Bargaining Agreement between your employer and the I.U.O.E. Stationary Engineers Local 39.
Q. I am going through a divorce, what happens to my pension?
A.If your former spouse is awarded a portion of your earned benefit through the Plan, it will be necessary that you and your spouse complete a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) so that the Plan can pay benefits to your former spouse. You may contact the Benefit Office and request that a sample QDRO be provided to you.
Q.Does the Pension Plan affect Social Security benefits in any way?

401(k) Profit Sharing

Q. When do I become eligible for benefits?
A.Once you accumulate 80 work hours in one month, your employer will begin making contributions on your behalf and eligibility will begin the second month following. For example, John begins working and accumulates the 80 work hours in the month of January. John's employer will make a contribution on his behalf for the work month of January. John’s insurance will begin on March 1
Q.When can I start Participating in the Plan?
A.You start participating when you begin working for Employers covered by either a Collective Bargaining Agreement or Subscriber Agreement or the Union that requires them to make contributions to this Annuity Plan on your behalf. There are no minimum service requirements to become a Participant and you remain a Participant as long as the Annuity Plan holds an Individual Account for you. Contributions to the Plan are always 100% vested.
Q.What is a Plan Year?
A.The Plan Year is January 1st through December 31st.