Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Frequently Asked Pension Questions

Q. When could I become eligible for benefits under the Plan?
  • Normal Retirement:
    At least age 62 with 5 years of Credited Service, or age 60 with 5 years of Credited Service for hours worked (and benefits earned) prior to January 1, 2010, or Normal Retirement Age.
  • Early Retirement:
    At least age 55 with 10 years of Credited Service (excluding Credited Future Service earned as a result of work in Contiguous Noncovered Employment).
  • Rule of 90:
    At least age 55, and age and years of Credited Service total 90 when added together (for benefits earned prior to January 1, 2010).
  • Total and Permanent Disability
    Any age with 10 years of Credited Service, including at least one quarter of Credited Service as a result of actual work in Covered Employment in the three consecutive Calendar Years immediately prior to the onset of total disability, and in receipt of a Social Security Disability benefit.
Q. I would like to know what my monthly benefit would be if I choose to retire. How do I obtain this information?
A. You can contact the Pension Department by calling (888) 512-5863 and request that an estimate be mailed to you. If you are married, you will be required to submit your spouse’s information so that an estimate could be provided with the Joint & Survivor options available to you. Additionally, if you have been divorced previously, you must submit a copy of your final divorce decree to the Pension Department.
Q. How far in advance should I request an application for retirement?
A. You can request an application for retirement any time during the 180 days prior to your expected retirement date but in no event, not later than the last working day of the month prior to the month in which you want to retire with this Plan.
Q. What happens to my application for benefits once it is mailed to the Administration Office?
A. Upon receipt of your application for benefits, the Administration Office will review your application to ensure it is complete. If for any reason, the application is not complete, the Administration Office will contact you and request any additional documentation. Upon receipt of the additional information the Administration Office will process your initial payment as soon as administratively feasible. If your application for benefits is submitted more than one month in advance prior to your effective date of retirement, the Administration Office will retain your paperwork until the month in which your pension becomes effective.
Q. In addition to the application for retirement, what other documents do I have to submit to the Administration office?
A. The Administration Office will need photocopies of the birth certificates for you and your spouse, copy of your marriage license, and copies of photo identification for you and your spouse. If you were divorced, you will also be required to submit a copy of the final judgment in your marital dissolution with any copies of the marital property settlement agreement.
Q. What are the forms of benefits that are available to me?
(must meet age and vesting requirements)
If single - Lifetime Pension benefit (with 60 month guarantee)
If married - 50% Joint and Survivor Pension
Other forms - 75% and 100% Joint and Survivor Pension, “Reversionary” (“pop-up”) 50%, 75% or 100% Joint and Survivor Pension
Q. Can my pension be paid out in one lump sum?
A. No, this is a Defined Benefit Pension Plan which provides you, the participant, a monthly benefit payable for your lifetime.
Q. What happens if I become vested for a benefit but die before I retire?
(must meet Credited Service requirements)
If single - 60 monthly payments of accrued benefit (Vested Participant)
If married - Preretirement survivor pension (50% of accrued benefit, reduced for Joint and Survivor Pension, beginning when the Participant would have reached age 55 and continuing for lifetime of spouse) (Vested Participant)
Q. I am going through a divorce, what happens to my pension?
A. If your former spouse is awarded a portion of your earned benefit through the Plan, it will necessary that you and your spouse complete a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) so that the Plan can pay benefits to your former spouse. We strongly recommend that you or your attorney submits any proposed QDRO to the Administration Office for review by Legal Counsel before it is filed with the Court House. You may also contact the Administration Office and request that a Sample QDRO be provided to you.
Q. I am currently receiving a monthly pension benefit from the Plan and would like to change the tax withholding. What needs to be done?
A. You can change your tax withholding as often as you wish by completing a new W4-P which can be obtained from the Administration Office or downloaded from the website. Once this form is completed, you must return it to the
Q. I am currently receiving a monthly pension benefit from the Plan, what happens if I do not receive my check?
A. Although, the Administration Office makes every effort to ensure that your monthly benefit arrives on time, sometimes it is possible that the delivery of your check is delayed beyond reasons out of our control. There is a possibility that your check gets lost in the mail processing. If for any reason, you do not receive your check by the 10th day of the month, you must contact the Administration Office so that a replacement check can be mail to you.
Q. I recently moved, how do I change my address?
A. For your protection, all address changes must be submitted in writing. You can change your address in one of two ways:
  • Mail or fax a letter to the Administration Office with your new address or
  • Complete the Address Change Form located on the website for your convenience.