Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Frequently Asked Questions

Health Care

Q. Who is eligible to become a Participant in the Plan?
A. You are eligible to participate in the Plan if you work for an Employer that is required to make contributions to the health and welfare Plan for the work you perform. For most Participants, this means working in a position covered by a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the Employer and the Union.
Q. What if I don’t work enough hours to gain eligibility for the month?
A. If you fail to have the required employer contributions to continue Health Care coverage, you may be eligible to make a self-payment directly to the Plan, or you may be eligible to continue with COBRA Continuation Coverage. Please contact the Trust Fund Office at (925) 398-7043 or Toll Free at (855) 704-5273.
Q. How do I maintain my monthly Health Care coverage?
A. You must have employer contributions of a specified amount set by the Plan each quarter, submit a self-payment or elect COBRA Continuation Coverage to continue Health Care Coverage.


Q. How do I become a Participant in the Plan?
A. You are a Participant of the Plan if contributions are being made to the Pension Fund on your behalf under the terms of a Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Q. I am going through a divorce, what happens to my pension?
A. If you divorce and a court order requires payment of some of your benefit to your ex-spouse, a qualified domestic relations order (QDRO) must be prepared and accepted by the Plan before any payments can be made to your ex-spouse.
Q. Does the Pension Plan affect Social Security benefits in any way?
A. All Plan benefits are in addition to and independent of any Social Security benefits.