Monday, October 3, 2022

Frequently Asked Questions

Health Care

Q. Who is eligible to become a Participant in the Plan?
A. You are eligible to participate in the Plan if you work for an Employer that is required to make contributions to the health and welfare Plan for the work you perform. For most Participants, this means working in a position covered by a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the Employer and the Union.
Q. What if I don’t work enough hours to gain eligibility for the month?
A. If you fail to have the required employer contributions to continue Health Care coverage, you may be eligible to continue with COBRA Continuation Coverage. Please contact the Benefit Fund Office at: (800) 622-0547 for more information.
Q. How do I maintain my monthly Health Care coverage?
A. You must have an employer contribution submitted on your behalf each month or elect COBRA Continuation Coverage and submit a self payment to continue Health Care coverage.


Q. How do I become a Participant in the Plan?
A. You become a Participant in the Plan on the first day of your employment in a job category covered by a Collective Bargaining Agreement between your employer and the I.U.O.E. Stationary Engineers Local 39.
Q. I am going through a divorce, what happens to my pension?
A. If your former spouse is awarded a portion of your earned benefit through the Plan, it will be necessary that you and your spouse complete a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) so that the Plan can pay benefits to your former spouse. You may contact the Benefit Office and request that a sample QDRO be provided to you.
Q. Does the Pension Plan affect Social Security benefits in any way?
A. No.
Q. Can pensions be paid or assigned or garnered to others?
A. No. Pensions cannot be assigned to a third party. The only exceptions are for payments in accordance with a "Qualified Domestic Relations Order," or on the death of the Participant to a designated beneficiary.